Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: What is the average cost of a web site?
- A: There is really no way to generate an average cost as sites differ in price from client to client based on the features they request and the amount of work that comes in at once.
- Q: How long will it take to design a web site?
- A: Multiple factors may affect the time needed to fully complete the design of your site. A few of those factors include the number of pages included in the configuration of your desired web site; if your site requires a database; and if you submit all of the required information. We rely on you, the client, to give us the information and to keep the line of communication open to ensure that your site is completed in a timely fashion.
- Q: How long will my Estimate/Quote be Valid?
- A: All Estimates/Quotes are valid for 30 days.
- Q: How can I contact Charlie & Co..?
- A: You can contact Charlie & Co. by email, phone or postal mail. All of our contact information is on our contact page.
- Q: Is Charlie & Co.. Windows or Apple based?
- A: Charlie & Co.. has the best of both worlds to satisfy the needs of a demanding market. We have both Windows and Apple environments.
- Q: Do I have to put a deposit on any design work?
- A: We require a 50% pre-payment on all projects that are above $600, %40 on projects that are above $10,000. The remaining 50% is due on completion of projects that are between $600 and $10,000. On projects over $10,000, a different payment schedule will be created and agreed upon.
- Q: What computer software do we use?
- A: We use all the most up to date software including: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Flash, as well as Quark 7.
- Q: Is re-designing currently running websites one of your services?
- A: Yes. In fact, that is one of our most common requests
Web Design Questions
- Q: What is the difference between a HTML and PHP web site?
- A: Html is a method of describing content: it is Hyper Text Markup Language. HTML gives you several simple commands to describe what things mean, i.e. you tell by coding html that this part of text is paragraph, that part of text is a header, this part of text is a quote and that there is a list. PHP is an internet programming language and it is designed primarily for creation of dynamic web sites with database integration. PHP sites write out HTML coding so it’s almost impossible to say if a web site is PHP based or writing in HTML. As the client, you will only see the HTML source the PHP code has created.
- Q: How do I know what type of web site I need?
- A: There are a few “types” of web sites out there. You can opt to have a full flash site, although full flash sites are not recommended, people often choose it over static. You can have a static site, without movement, which will be written and coded in HTML and will be able to run on any server. Or third, you can have a combination of both, flash and HTML which will keep a sense of intrigue to your clients or users, and at the same time not slow down their viewing experience.
- Q: What is Flash?
- A: Macromedia Flash is a proprietary, graphics animation program used to create and deliver dynamic content, media (such as sound and video), and interactive applications over the web via the browser.
- Q: Will having Flash on my site slow it down?
- A: Having flash on your site used to slow down sites a lot more than it does now. A general flash menu may be about fourty-two kilobytes (Kb) in size, whereas a general JPG menu file may be as large as sixty kilobytes (Kb). So newer compression methods being used in flash now may save bandwidth on your host. However please remember that the menu will still have to reload every time the user refreshes their browser.
- Q: What is a Domain name?
- A: A domain name is what identifies one or more IP addresses to the domain registry on your hosts Domain Name Servers. For example charlienco.ca is our domain name.
- Q: If I buy a web package can I add other services to it?
- A: Adding services to any package is fine by us. In fact, a lot of our work comes from happy clients or referrals who want us to take on the rest of their portfolio of work. The packages were designed to give you a starting point. You decide what you want on your web site depending on the budget you want to stay with-in.
- Q: Is hosting one of our services?
- A: If you need hosting and do not know what company to sign up with, we would be more then happy to give you a referral. Charlie & Co. does not provide hosting as one of our services as we do not own any servers.
- Q: What is SEO?
- A: SEO is short for search engine optimization, the process of increasing the amount of visitors to a website by ranking high in the search results of a search engine. SEO helps to ensure that a site is accessible to a search engines and improves the chances that the site will be found by the search engine.
Print Design Questions
- Q: Who sends my files to print?
- A: This decision is up to you. If you would like us to send your files in, we would require all of the print information along with the email and phone number of the print company you will be using. There are no extra charges or hidden fees for asking us to send your files.
- Q: Is printing one of our services?
- A: If you need your files printed and do not know who to send them to, depending on the type of print job, Charlie & Co. has a plethora of partners we work with for printing. We do not provide printing as one of our services as we do not own a press.